[MAJOR SPOILERS] S08 mid-season finale from The Spoiling Dead Fans
We have some sad news to report today. First, we want to say up front that this is UNCONFIRMED INFORMATION. Repeat…UNCONFIRMED. This is something we are tracking right now and should not be taken as hard fact. Normally we wouldn’t even post, but the fandom is already talking about it and in light of the premiere we felt we needed to share what we knew.
It seems as though we will be losing our favorite hat wearing, pudding eating, can’t stay in the house beloved Carl during the mid-season finale. Yes, it may be time to say goodbye to the one-eyed wunderkind. Now, before you start writing us nasty messages, let us tell you how we came to this conclusion.
We get lots of information from everywhere, all the time. Most often they are just bits that don’t add up to something. Sometimes it’s even people trying to feed us false info to discredit us. But every now and then (remember Beth? Bob?) we get pieces of info that start to add up and form something true. It’s that thing where a couple pieces of the puzzle mean nothing, but start to piece them together and they form a picture. We believe that’s happening here.
We received various pieces of information from separate sources beginning way back in early September telling us they believe Carl will die in the mid-season finale. We know the MSF will involve a huge battle at Alexandria with multiple fires, explosions and gunfire. There is plenty of photo evidence and eyewitness accounts of this. Separate sources also tell us that they believe Carl’s death was shot at the studio with corresponding scenes being shot at Alexandria near the gates. It is believed that he dies in the MSF with possibly his body being discovered and/or the aftermath of his death occurring in episode 9. So far there has been no corroboration in exactly how he dies; however, more than once we were told that he struggles with someone and is possibly stabbed. So what do we do with this? We go back and check the filming information and match it against what we’re being told. Here is what we know:
1. A series of several night shoots in Alexandria begins on 7/29 for episode 8. Gunfire, yelling, explosions, fires, etc.
2. 7/31: Carl witnessed on the guard platform. Negan shows up. Carl gets down and goes to the gates. There is gunfire. Photo evidence confirms Carl’s presence.
3. 8/1: More night battle shoots. Carl is the only main cast confirmed filming.
4. 8/2: Most filming took place by Rick’s house. Late at night/early AM a couple of horrific screams were heard. At the time it was speculated that it was Michonne. Not confirmed. There is audio of the screams.
5. 8/3: Mystery day. Assuming studio. Nobody was sighted outside.
6. 8/4: More night shoots at studio. Andy Lincoln spotted near studio.
7. 8/5-8/18: No filming.
8. 8/21: Rick spotted near Alexandria gates briefly. Photo of crew trucks.
9. 8/ 22: Carl & Michonne filming at Alexandria. Morning studio filming.
10. 8/23–8/28: Alexandria filming. Carl, Negan, Michonne, Rick were confirmed via photo.
11. Chandler’s last reported filming was on 8/28 at the Gin property (Alexandria). This would be for episode 9. Eyewitnesses reported that Carl’s shirt was covered with blood and he was struggling with someone on the ground - unclear who.
12. By 8/29 filming shifted away from Alexandria to multiple sites. As of this date, no more Carl.
13. 10/16: Chandler made some suspicious social media posts including posts on October 16th when he was in Los Angeles about how he doesn’t know if he’ll ever be as successful as he is right now “but I’m glad I got this chance to help tell a story that actually impacts people” Now let’s add in what we saw in the premiere. Again, we usually do not theorize, but this is too significant to ignore. In the premiere we saw two future Ricks: old man Rick and red-eyed Rick. We believe, as others do, that red-eyed Rick will be seen in a future episode and this is where he will be mourning the loss of Carl and make the decision to let “mercy prevail over [his] wrath.” Keep in mind that this is the quote uttered by the middle-eastern man at the gas station when Carl approaches. This is likely Siddiq from the comics (casting call corresponds with this theory). The fact that Rick utters this quote tells us that he will interact with Siddiq in the show and that this is, in fact, a scene from a future episode where Rick has suffered a tragic loss. There was significant foreshadowing in the future as far as Carl is concerned – his mercy toward “Siddiq” in providing him food. We also have a promotional picture where Rick is standing holding his hat.
So there you have it. Take the info and decide for yourself what you want to believe. Our job is to report what we know and this is what we know. If true, we hate to lose Carl but Chandler Riggs has proven himself to be an asset to any cast and he has a bright future whether that means going on to college or going on to new projects.
We’ll keep tracking this and will update you as new information comes to light.
Sadly, I think this image confirms Carl’s death. At first I thought the scene was showing Rick paying his respects to Glenn and Abe before going to war, but then I realized it’s a different grave from the previous two. Compare it with Maggie’s scene at the graves. Graves don’t move!
Damn. This will probably be what breaks the show away from the comic completely for me. I don’t know if I could watch anymore. Still don’t know if that’s a good thing or a bad thing for the show itself, but I think it’s a mistake. What was the point of him surviving the eye shot? Damn that sucks. Hopefully he gets gravely injured and is revealed to survive in E9, knowing the show runners, that’s something they would do. Edit: Whyyyy? I wanted to see the awesome moments with Negan. This is fake news. Now I have something to think about at work
I'm rewatching the premiere. The last lookout, right before Rick cuts the walker loose to eat his face, says "your boy's gonna die."
That's chilling now.
The comics have a major plot about . I don't know, it just doesn't seem right to me to kill Carl as he is pivotal in upcoming plots.
And TSDF has never been wrong before...
I feel so upset for Michonne and Rick
I am extremely shook.
People have been talking about this on the TSDF forums a lot, but I never really believed it. It all lines up, but Carl's the main character... right?
Acknowledgement from the TSDF is extremely validating for this theory. I'm blown away. This is going to be good TV.
What. The. Fuck.
ETA: I wonder if Chandler wanted out. I can't see them killing him off otherwise, and I think he is about to start college.
Now this is depressing. I really like Carl and Chandler. He’s young and has given some great scenes so I’m hopeful for his future after TWD. It might be good for him to go to college like a normal kid.
But I feel really sad for rick and michonne. It’s gonna be a depressing storyline
What the fuck! I feel like that would be an insane mistake going through with that.
He was in the flash forward too though? With 6-year old Judith
I don't know, I think that might make me stop watching the show. I thought the show was more about Carl coming into his own and taking over from Rick?
Huh? I remember TSDF saying Glenn wasn't dead after the dumpster.
I'm really hoping the filming schedule issues are due to first semester college for Chandler. He would have just renewed his contract for coming up on his 18th birthday, starting college, etc.... hopefully things just with changes to his schedule. They've worked with him pretty well throughout his schooling, so here's hoping.
If this happens, and it was not Chandler's choice, I think it'll be the beginning of the end. Huge mistake to kill off Carl. Huge.
If this is true, and Chandler made the choice, to further his education or career or personal reasons, then all the best to him and his path. From what I've seen, he's a bright and kind young man and will do well. I'll still think it's a huge mistake, but I'll respect it miles more than a production decision.
I'll now be prepared, slightly, for this (if true) but until I see an actual confirmation death, I won't accept this as fact. They(production) couldn't hide S7 premier deaths as much as they'd hoped, and tsdf isn't 100% on this like they were with that. So... hmmm
You mean how they repeatedly said glenn wasn't dead?
Seriously you can't win people.
Even with flawless record, they get responses like this. Unbelievable
Right, but Michonne also called this "his show now". So it's both sides.
Man. I'm not ready. How is Rick going to function? I can't imagine it.
I'm just wondering how Rick is going to function after this. I just can't imagine it.
And Michonne! Ugh, it's brutal. Carl isn't even in my top 15 favorite characters but the impact on all my faves is going to be tough to watch
Carol and Daryl, too. He hasn't had much on-screen interaction with them lately, but they've known him longer than they've known most people in the world at this point. They've known him longer than they've known Rick!
I guess his life will be in the balance at the end of the episode and we will have to wait until February to find out if he’s dead. I hope not. I hope he gets a decent death too
Carl being killed off? Major mistake for the show honestly. But if the actor wants to leave, I guess they have no choice but to do it. (If that's the reason he's getting killed off).
Yeah if Carl does die I can't see Rick not ending negan immediately
Carl isn't even close to my favorite char but I'm staying in Denial until confirmed. NO.
He was in the flash forward, in passing, no face, but we did hear his voice.
I agree that this would be an incredible mistake for the show, but it's hard to say what Chandler chose to do with his contract and education.
He did turn 18 during the filming of S8, in June, so that's a whole new world when it comes to his being contracted.
Who knows, but I don't know if this show can hold without the Rick and Carl relationship. Even at it's most basic point of Rick's driving force.
I'll be honest. This could make me stop watching the show. They are going to throw away so many good storylines
It'll be Rick when Lori died but 1000x worse.
Okay, I never thought I'd hope for another dumpstergate, but here I am.
The impact on not only Rick and Michonne, but also Maggie and Enid, both are close to him and it is going to hurt seeing everyone respond to Ricks reaction
I'm putting all my faith in the unconfirmed part of this. I don't think I can handle it if it's true. I just can't.
That explains the scenes with Rick all super red eyed and mumbling nonsense over a grave, it's Carl, and he's lost himself ala season 3 again
But... eye don't want him to die.
I wouldn’t be surprised if AMC are trolling TWD spoiler hunters with fake scenes after last year
If this happens I am going to be a mess, my cat is named after Carl and everything he's my favorite character. I'm gutted to hear this news and I have a small hope it isn't true. If it is I wonder who will fill his shoes, he has a huge storyline in the comics, also if they kill Carl I see no reason for them to keep Negan alive, Rick will kill him for sure
Yeah, I hate to be one of those people, but I would stop watching. It's just against the entire point of the story and it seems like all signs are pointing to it
That sounds pretty plausible.... If reports show he gets stabbed, it could potentially be a "poisoned" knife. Idk, I think its all around a bad move to kill off Carl
Woah. Honestly I never thought they would kill him off. I kinda hope this isnt true.
I feel like Kirkman would veto this if possible. It'll drastically change the rest of the show from the comics and my bet is they'd just recast carl if CR doesn't want to do it anymore
How would he even spare Negan at that point? Remember how crazy he went last time when he lost Lori? I respected TSDF from the beginning but I really hope this is wrong or the show is down the dumps.
If this is true then i dont know how Rick is gonna stay sane
I'm going to cling to this, and hold it close.
Carl feels like too important of a character to die this soon imo, my thoughts were he'd be one of the final people alive with Judith, not this :(